One nice thing about DayZ SA (I’ll just call it DayZ from now on) is that setting up a server is very easy. DayZ is self-contained and doesn’t require installation of an external database.
- Download DayZ Server from Steam -> Library -> Tools [Note that DayZ Server Experimental is a separate download and can be installed similarly]
- By default, the files will be in c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZServer
- Copy that directory to another location because steam will auto-update that location and overwrite any changes you have made. For simplicity of this documentation, I will use C:\dayzserver\ .
- Edit C:\dayzserver\DayZServer\serverDZ.cfg
- change hostname
- set password if needed
- Add a line for steamQueryPort = 2303;
- Use whatever number you want, I generally use gamePort +1
- The default steam query port is 27016, but better to explicitly set the port
- Open and port forward the gamePort (2302) and steamqueryport (2303) [both UDP Protocol]. No other ports or port ranges are required to be opened or forwarded.
- gamePort is set on the command line. For this example, I’ll use 2302
- Read this to learn how to add mods to the server.
- Run the server via this command (replacing @mod1;@mod2;@mod3; with our mods or remove =mod if you want to run vanilla)
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe " /C start "DayZSA" C:\dayzserver\DayZServer_x64.exe -config=C:\dayzserver\serverDZ.cfg -port=2302 -profiles=C:\dayzserver\profile "-mod=@mod1;@mod2;@mod3;" -BEPath=C:\dayzserver\battleye -dologs -adminlog
- Command line params https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DayZ:Server_Configuration
- The -profiles directory will contain log files *.RPT, *.ADM, *LOG
- It is also where mods keep their configuration files
- There is no command to automatically restart the dayz server. You need a script or app that starts it, watches the process to see if its running and if not restarts it. You will also need something to shutdown the server at your regular intervals.
- BEC(BattlEye Extended Controls) has been used for years, but has been removed for download from the main site 😦
- CF Tools seems to be a complete mangement app, although I have not used it
- I have a set of .BAT files that I developed for arma2:dayzmod and modified for DayZ. If you fully understand .BAT scripting, lmk since they are a bit ugly.
- XAPOFX1_5.dll is missing
- Download and Install DirectX
- Server is not accessible or not showing up on the Community tab
- You may not have opened the firewall or forwarded the correct ports. If the server is already running (maybe with a GSP), you can also look at the DayZ_x64*.RPT and look for a line like ” 8:01:05.592 SUCCESS: SteamGameServer_Init(c0a80121,2502,2502,2503,3,1.07.153006)” – The 2nd, 3rd, 4th values are the ports being used.