Vehicles are transportation and not storage
- Vehicles are meant to be driven and flown, not parked in the woods or in bases for extended periods of time.
- Taking the wheels off of a vehicle and/or having it mostly damaged and not able to move sure makes it look like storage.
- Letting a vehicle sit with no gas sure makes it look like storage.
Do not put vehicles in inaccessible places to other players (not bases)
- Generally this means on top of roofs, but I’m sure there is someplace else I haven’t thought of.
Do not hoard vehicles
- The definition of hoarding – “…a pattern of behavior that is characterized by excessive acquisition and an inability or unwillingness to discard large quantities of objects…”
“But Ski, my clan has 8 players and we have only have 8 cars and we’re going to use them all. That’s ok since its just 1 per player, right?”
- I’ve been running a server for a few years and I can guarantee that vehicle usage DOES NOT increase with the number of players using a base.
- Eventually some vehicles get salvaged, are used for storage, or are are kept to prevent others from using or having them (heli, guntruck, SUV, HMMV)
- Vehicles also get “saved” because players are too afraid to lose them (heli, guntruck, SUV, HMMV)
- Hint – bases are targets, so the more you have, the bigger a target you are.
- Hint – if you put everything in one spot and it gets raided, you’ll have NOTHING.
I do not constantly count vehicles in bases or clusters together.
- I do spot check for clusters
- I watch for chat about not being able to find vehicles or bases with large numbers of vehicles
- If #1 and #2 are TRUE, then:
- I can look in the database to see if a vehicle was touched recently
- I can look in the logs to see if a vehicle was moved recently
- I can see who owns the base, tents or stashes nearby
- I will, at least, harass you to thin out your collection
I’d like to avoid setting up STRICT rules to enforce, so let’s keep the honor system for now.